Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The "whys" of life

We all hit them. Some in stride, whereas some stop us in our tracks. "Why?" Why does God allow things to happen? Why doesn't God do things that "should" happen?

In the last year, I've seen a family in our church lose their only son at 18 in a car crash; now, another family we're friends with are facing almost certain death of the father to brain cancer. These are huge events. Acceptance or despair? Joy, sadness, or both.

On my homefront, an ankle break and surgery has me down. Literally on the day I return to work after a 3 week hiatus, I begin to experience abdominal pain. A few excruciating nights of pain later, I'm diagnosed with a kidney stone. It's still there...and I've got that feeling of being kicked while I'm already down.

I tend to take things in stride...it will all work out. No big deal. Push through and get on with it. It's just "life", don't over-analyze it. I know God's plans are what are executed. Proverbs 16:9 "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

But especially when the "Why"s compound, I think it's a fair question to ask. God...What do you want to happen here? How does this fit into your plans? Are you trying to tell me something? Is there discipline going on here?

All reasonable questions to ask...and I believe He will answer.

0 comments: