Saturday, August 8, 2009

Is it easier to help or be helped?

We live in what I consider to be a pretty stuffy neighborhood. People are nice but not too nice. The yards are relatively big and you could really survive without having to see anyone. Up to this point most don't even know that I'm laid up even though I've been laid up for almost 5 weeks. Today while picking up some yard trimmings that the garbage men didn't take (in my cast) , a neighbor yelled across the relatively busy side street "Do you need some help?". I waved him off. Just now another neighbor emailed to ask if he could help. Missed opportunity on 2 fronts.

One thing I've learned, is that you ironically make friendships by making yourself vulnerable. Sometimes, God takes care of making you vulnerable. Other times you have humble yourself. But in either case, others are served by serving you. Not in some mushy humanitarian way...but by letting others do things, conversations take place, trust can be built, walls can be broken down, and longer-term things happen.

Take my own example in our first home. Not long after we were moving in, I went to Radio Shack and bought the BIGGEST TV antenna they had. As I was struggling with carrying it up a ladder...walking across the roof...avoiding high voltage lines...and steadying it for mounting, my neighbor across the street came running. I think he was concerned I was about to reproduce the Ben Franklin electricity experiment. He got on the roof and gave me that extra hand needed to mount it. From that, a friendship grew. And with that, after he got married, he began to sense God's tug on his life, partly through conversations with me. Soon after, he and his wife were at our church, eventually making decisions to follow Christ. It all started with my need.

Another example is a story by Pastor Don Piper, who survives a horrific crash and finds himself in an unbelievable tale of recovery. He describes this moment in the book, "90 Minutes in Heaven", in which he realizes his need to let others serve him.

"In my thinking, I was being selfless and not trying to impose on them or cause them any trouble...In reality, I was being selfish. There was also an element of pride there---which I couldn't admit then. I knew how to give generously to others, but pride wouldn't let me receive others' generosity.
Another scenario that comes to mind also involves pride. Think of the pride of self. "If I let others help me, I owe them. I don't want to owe them. I won't even ask because if I do, I will be obligated to return the favor" A reality of the way you and I think at times. Some more than others of course...but in reality, all of us.
So in the end...amongst other things...we must learn the skill of letting others help us. And what's the ultimate goal here? The gospel of course.

Go and be helped. You might want to do some helping too, just don't forget both sides of the equation.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this post--I'm so sorry you've had so much trouble with your ankle, too. It's no fun to be "sidelined". God teaches us little lessons along the way, tho. Hope it's all better by now! Your blog is quite nice--I've enjoyed it sporadically, have to admit...Will try to check more often.....Love to all, Aunt Joanna